In 2009 I got a HP Color LaserJet CP1215. Unfortunately this printer is not compatible with OS X. Three years ago I managed to install the printer by using open source tools and drivers. However, since I got a new MacBook Pro I needed to reinstall the printer and, of course, some things changed.
In order to remember the stuff I just did I will now shortly describe the process. However, I will not provide support if you struggle installing the printer.
If you upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and your printer stopped working please see the update at the end of this article.
- You need GCC to compile C code. In my opinion the best way to get GCC is to install Xcode from the Mac App Store. In Xcode you have to install the Command Line Tools (Preferences > Downloads > Components).
- You also need Homebrew to install some libraries.
- Open a Terminal window and install
$ brew install wget $ brew install gnu-sed
- Download and install Ghostscript, Foomatic RIP and HIPJS for Mac OS X.
$ wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz $ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz $ cd foo2zjs $ make $ ./getweb 1215 $ sudo make install $ sudo make cups $ cupsctl WebInterface=yes
- Open the CUPS web interface: http://localhost:631
- Add a printer by clicking on Adding Printers and Classes and then Add Printer. Enter your Mac OS X user name (must be an administrator) and your password.
- Select the printer (I connected the printer to my AirPort Express and it showed up in the list automatically) and click the submit button.
- Enter a name and description and submit the form again.
- Select HP
- Select HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Foomatic/foo2hp (en)
- Click on Add Printer
- Set Color Mode to Color and Bits Per Plane to 2 Bits Per Plane. Submit.
Update August 26th, 2012: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
When I upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, the printer stopped working. However, I could easily resolve this by repeating steps 4 and 5. I did not uninstall anything, I simply downloaded the latest version of Ghostscript, Foomatic RIP, HIPJS and foo2zjs.